Sunday, February 20, 2011

New Surreal Paintings

Here is a new painting on the subject of Tree Mother, which I have been compelled to explore recently. I am painting in a different, more direct way straight from my intuition rather than a model. This one is larger than the two following, 18x24" I think.
 Here is a smaller one 5x7" oil on cradled wood panel, as is the one that follows.
I have also been working on a bust sculpture of Psyche (which is who this is by the way!)

It is so much fun to play around with paint and color without trying to capture a likeness because it loosens me up and allows me to experiment, which in turn helps my portrait work to improve. Sometimes it feels like I am going in a million directions with my work, but it all relates, I swear!




5 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

Such beautiful, gentle paintings.

Crystal said...

The paintings are lovely! I just adore the tree mother! Maybe you can make her a doll as well!

onegoldensun said...

Beautiful artwork! I am so happy to have found your lovely blog.

best wishes!
~emily

ArchetypalTheatre said...

Thanks everyone =) I think I will make a doll of this one. I can't seem to leave the mother and child theme alone for long these days!

nicci said...

enjoying the move to a more intuitive process. i've seen your model work, and it's lovely, too... but something interesting happens when you just paint from your head.