Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me =)

It was my birthday last week and I received two beautifully illustrated fairytale treasuries from some people who know me pretty well ;) I also gave myself a bunch of wool felt (I love to make it myself with natual dyes, but there hasn't been enough time for that lately and I am very excited about having a palette of felt to work with, I am a painter, after all!) and some lovely cotton velour. Also pictured are the two books I am reading from the library: one about Waldorf education and one with the illustrations of Carl Larsson, who is amazing!


The first thing I made is this bunting doll for my little girl, who hates to sleep alone in her crib - I hope this will comfort her a bit. The pattern came from the book Making Dolls.
Here she is pictured on the gorgeous baby quilt that one of my best friends made for us.


We went out for a nice Italian dinner the night before (I studied in Italy, so the cooking is close to my heart). Then, I took almost the whole day to be outside in the garden, pick raspberries and make sketches for the children's book I am working on. Here is my 'workspace' and my depiction of the raspberry patch.


What a great day! Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen!

4 comments:

FairiesNest said...

It looks like you had a lovely day! Making Dolls is a great book and one that I used when I started dollmaking 18 years ago. My youngest was in a Waldorf school and we loved it SO much. I became good friends with the teacher, who was from Denmark, and gave me some marvelous Waldorf doll patterns. They make the best dolls for children.:)

ian gordon craig said...

Whilst I'm not one myself for dolls, your paintings on this blog are most impressive.

Abi said...

Happy belated birthday!!!!
your garden looks absolutely delightful!
Hope the babe is doing well :O)

Ayala Art said...

That was a fun birthday!