Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Painting in bed


I've been getting back to my artistic roots with some watercolor paintings this week. I had a wicked cold and didn't feel like getting out of bed at all, so I thought about Frida Kalho and set up a tray table by the bed with all my equipment, so I could work from there. And I only painted what came into my head, no expectations or commissions involved. It's been lovely and now that I'm feeling better, I'm looking into making prints of some of the pictures for my Etsy shop. If anyone has suggestions on reliable printer that can be used with archival inks and papers (and great color matching) let me know!

This one is based on the time I spent in Italy, years ago. These trees are quintessential Italy to me.


Reading and watching movies about Frida Kahlo was a great source of comfort to me while I was quite ill with fibromyalgia a few years ago. It is so interesting to me that her story means so much to so many people. She is a kind of archetype that we all relate to - somone who suffers great limitations and yet transcends them with grace and passion.

3 comments:

TheSingingBird said...

That's such a lovely painting Sarah. I hope you are feeling much better now. We just recently watched the movie about Frida and were so inspired by her art and determination. I like to think she is happily painting now in a pain-free existence.

Chris said...

What a nice painting! Has such a spring feeling about it.

Cat (darklingwoods) said...

Lovely painting, I think it would make a wonderful print I've heard good things about "Iprintfromhome.com haven't tried them myself though

Frida is so inspiring!