Wednesday, January 14, 2009

On the Threshold





"It is better to meet God on the threshold of despair than to risk our lives in a complacency that has never felt the need of forgiveness"

~Thomas Merton

I find this quote comforting because it acknowledges that we make mistakes and that we can use our struggles to become more awakened human beings. We cannot understand the beauty or power of forgiveness unless we have needed for ourselves, at some time.

I wanted this sculpture to be delicate and fragile but also bravely balanced on that threshold (both inside and out).

My father came to see this piece the other day and went to open the door and take out the quote, which is written on the scroll. And watching it gave me a strong feeling in my own body which I hadn't expected. It just was kind of intense to see someone open up a door into another body. I'm definately going to do more interactive pieces that deal with open vs closed, vulnerable vs protected. The energy it creates is very interesting to me and reminds me of concepts we worked with in the transpersonal counseling courses I took at school.

5 comments:

jpogue said...

Hi Sarah, I found your site by name search. My maiden name is Pogue and occasionally I search for "Pogues" just for fun. I love your artwork and especially your sculptures! My father was a wonderful artist but unfortunately, I got none of it.

I have a blog you're welcome to look at, it's just for fun. http://livinglifewithchemobrain.blogspot.com/

Anyway, nice to find another Pogue!

Nat said...

Great piece to view and to understand. Forgiveness can be such a hard thing, especially when you realize it is all up to you.

Deirdra Doan said...

What a wonderful piece and a way to express such a strong powerful truth...meeting God on the Threshold...

Crystal said...

Hi,
I really love this piece.I was just surfing the dolls on etsy and I saw one of your dolls so I checked out your work. I was amazed that you had a Thomas Merton comment. I have a son who thinks he is the reincarnation of Thomas Merton.
Anyway, It calls to mind how often I have heard people comment that if it had not been for a certain situation- sickness, loss of a loved one,hitting bottom with an addiction ect.... that they would never have found their spiritual self. That they had to be brought to there knees literally so that they would finally look to "the forces that be" for meaning and answers.

BIKY said...

amazing