Tuesday, October 28, 2008


I was listening to the NPR show Fresh Air the other day when Charlie Kaufman (screenwriter of Endless Sunshine..., Being John Malkovich, Adaptation) was interviewed. He said some things about creating that I find so profound. Here is a link to the full interview http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96023004

And this is a quote that made me catch my breath because it felt so right to me, he says, "The things that I really relate to, is when I read something that has articulated something that I've felt but haven't been able to articulate, and I find that incredibly moving and I find an incredible sense of community in that... If I offer myself, there is a chance that somebody else will feel connected because they felt that and even if the story is sad you can be connected in your sadness and the sadness of being a human being."


It sounds to me like an explanation of how making art can be an act of great compassion and why self expression is an integral thread in the fabric of society. He is speaking about writing , but it's equally true of visual art. The visual image has the power to connect and transmit an impression/idea/emotion even more quickly to the human consciousness than words can. I know when a work of art has touched me before I understand why. I'm so in love with that feeling - that welling up of emotion - like something in me has become unblocked because someone else has expressed it and somehow that image has found it's way to me and I know that I am not alone. I think I'm such a movie fan because film blends images and spoken words, which makes for an immediate and deep impact. But I also like the slow pace of taking in a still image and the ambiguity of a single image that allows the viewer to shape his own experience of the art, whereas some movies can leave one feeling as if his emotions have been manipulated.

On a different note, here is photo of two new figures in progress.





5 comments:

missficklemedia.com said...

They are so beautiful!
I really like how soft their ears look!

Tracey J said...

How lovely! I can't wait to see them finished. such soulful eyes!

Justin Russell said...

I think that you are right. That is why I love everything you do. Something I have learned from you. Something you continue to remind me of. Tonight at my group we were talking about someone's lack of emotion in their story. All I could think of were the Romantics. Not the silly romance of erotic romance novels, etc. But the Romantics of olde. Those that believe that the experience of awe, the sublime is an experience of God, Godhead, the archetypal subconcsious. They wanted you to feel because they wanted you to connect, read into it and feel God, feel humanity. They drug the unpleasantness of the poorhouses and the insanity of the madhouses to the fore front. But they also expressed the beauty of nature, that feeling that makes you feel small, like a childe exploring the woruld for the first time. You are so right, and the fact that your Characters take shape beneath your fingers, not some preconceived notion already roughed out, is what makes this so beautfiful and connected to you, to me, to everyone. Beautiful sentiment. Thank you for making it. Again, you inspire me. Oh, and the heads are beautiful, too ;p

P.S. Listening to the Fresh Aire broadcast now. It is amazing. Thanks for recommending it :)

Cat (darklingwoods) said...

What a beautiful inspiring post!

I've tagged you over at my journal if you would like to play :)

Cat

Teaching Handwork said...

it looks like so much fun!