Saturday, July 26, 2008

Painting again


More paintings this week, including some watercolor, which I haven't done much of recently. I've been inspired by some of the great illustration work that's up on Etsy, like paintings by MarmeeCraft and Kocorococo. So here are a couple of mine.

I'm working on some oil projects as well, such as this one which is about 3/4 finished - some parts are still just underpainting. It's a large piece, 24x36", so the going is slow. But my model is beautiful and I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to get a figure, portrait, landscape and still life all combined into one composition. Whew! If anyone has any tips for me, I'm all ears. My dad says that the left side of the chin has too much shadow and looks like a beard, at first I disagreed, but now that I see the painting reduced, I see it what he means - and the value is totally off because it's not really as dark as the shadow of the nose, which is the way I have it now. It's hard to see flaws when you are too 'close' to a picture. I start seeing what I intended it to look like rather than what is really there. Weird. Ya know what else is weird? That the i is not before the e in the word 'weird.' I always have to spell check that one.


1 comment:

renée bédard said...

I love your work. Don't fret about shadows to much. They are beautiful paintings. I never noticed the shadow thing until you mentioned it, so I wouldn't worry about that to much. I looks good the way it is so don't fixate on something only one person picks out. I can tell you put a lot of work into it. The second one is my favorite because it is magical and I love the braids in the girls hair.