Thursday, June 12, 2008

Niche

This image needed to play out in 2D and 3D! I've sewn her a dress and I'm making a box/house for her that will look alot like the one in the painting. She is a wonderful model, she almost never needs a break =) When the painting is finished, it will have a trompe l'oiel effect of a niche in a plaster wall and bird-houses in the trees. I'm working more directly and freely with the paint this time - probably a reaction from my last picture which was done with a grisaille approach and tight rendering. Hmm, I wonder what other French art terms I can work into this posting...
It has been fun using my dolls as models and saves me from doing any more self portraits in the near future. Never-the-less I'm actively recruiting live models for my next objet d'art. (Okay, I think that exhausts my vocabulaire)

1 comment:

FairiesNest said...

I really love this one! I've been percolating the idea of some shadow box dolls in sets, particularly some nursery rhyme ones, and I can't wait to see how this turns out.